This day, the national carrier has ordered the first 33 new barrier-free diesel multiple units for regions. Nevertheless, the framework agreement made with PESA Bydgoszcz SA makes it possible to acquire as many as 160 units in the case of an interest of other contracting authorities. The new DMU units are similar, in terms of types, to the trains of the same supplier, which are operated in our country under the RegioShark brand. They will be equipped with the European Train Control System (ETCS) already from the factory, they will offer 115 seating places, spacious interior, air conditioning, barrier-free access, Wi-Fi or sockets for the recharging of batteries of small electronic appliances.
“It is necessary to keep our word given to Regions and to Prague and to gradually replace the vehicles in which it is, for example, already impossible to install the European Train Control System (ETCS) and which have been unable to satisfy current customers’ demands for travel comfort for a very long time,” says Ivan Bednárik, Chairman of the Board of Directors and Director General of ČD, continuing: “We will replace them with modern trains motivating the public for more frequent use of railway transport services. We will pay almost CZK 3 billion for the first 33 units.”
Customers can look forward to a bright and spacious air-conditioned interior with ergonomically designed seats, Wi-Fi, 230 V electric sockets with a charging 5 V USB port for the power supply of small electronic appliances, or to a modern audio video information system with LCD monitors, which is to inform them about the course of the journey and also about possible extraordinary situations on the route. The units will provide enough space for transport of people in wheelchairs and will be equipped with a platform for bridging the area between the platform and the floor of the car.
“The first phase includes the purchase of 33 diesel multiple units with the funding secured by way of contracts made with contracting authorities. These units will enable passengers to enjoy faster, more comfortable and more accessible travelling across regions thanks to the low-floor configuration, air conditioning, comfortable interior and sufficient capacity with a maximum speed of 120 km/h. They will be put into operation gradually in the Central Bohemian Region, Pardubice Region, South Bohemian Region, Vysočina Region and in Prague, as they start to arrive from production in the period of the timetable 2023 and onwards,” says Jiří Ješeta, Member of the Board of Directors and Deputy Director General of ČD for Trade.
Storage areas for luggage will have a sufficient capacity as well, including the universal area for baby carriages, bicycles or especially voluminous luggage. Toilets will have a closed system, which means that customers may use them at stations as well. Parents with the youngest babies will appreciate a folding changing table.
“I am glad that we are opening a next chapter in the ČD - PESA relations, especially with regard to the fact that we had years of very good cooperation in the past. Servicing since 2014, 31 RegioShark units have been our best ambassadors, and I would like to assure you that the new generation of RegioSharks will take us all to a next step of technology, comfort and safety for České dráhy’s passengers. These new vehicles are equipped with the most modern Stage V low-emission engines and many more innovative technical advancements and are environment-friendly diesel multiple units, thanks to which they meet and exceed the most demanding European standards,” says Krzysztof Zdziarski, Chief executive officer of PESA Bydgoszcz SA.
České dráhy already operates two-car diesel units of the series “844” manufactured by PESA Bydgoszcz SA known as RegioShark. Passengers can see them on passenger trains in the Ústí, Liberec, Karlovy Vary, Plzeň, Pardubice and Zlín Regions.
Brief description of equipment of the diesel multiple units:
- Modern bright and well-arranged air-conditioned interior with ergonomically designed upholstered seats in the versions for the 1st and 2nd classes;
- Barrier-free entry with the vehicle floor at the level of modern platforms without necessity of overcoming steps, for passengers in wheelchairs they will be equipped with a platform for bridging the area between the platform and the car floor, an additional telescopic step will facilitate boarding at stops with lower platforms;
- Modern safe sliding plug doors controlled by buttons, centrally closed and locked already before the train departure, moreover – for blind and partially sighted passengers the front door of the unit will be equipped with a remote control responding to a radio for blind people and also with an acoustic beacon;
- Spacious barrier-free WC accessible also for people in wheelchairs, with a closed system and equipped with a folding table for changing nappies as well;
- Electric sockets for power supply of portable electronic appliances of passengers, including USB ports, Wi-Fi, folding or tilting tables according to deployment of seats and 230 V sockets for the recharging of batteries of electric wheelchairs;
- Sufficiently large areas for placement of baby carriages, bicycles and transport of people in wheelchairs;
- Modern audio video information system providing information about the train journey and stops to all passengers, including blind, partially sighted or deaf persons, the train set interior will be equipped also with information plates in Braille for blind and partially sighted passengers.